[REVIEW] Throne of Glass

Series: Throne of Glass #1
Author: 
Sarah J. Maas
Genre:
 young adult, fantasy, high fantasy, romance, magic, adventure, mystery,
Published:
 August 2, 2012 (first published January 1, 2012)
Publisher: Bloomsbury

Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly.
Destined for greatness.
In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught. 
Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament - fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin's heart be melted?

*             *             *

I don't read high fantasy. Okay, I've read a couple and I didn't enjoy it as much as everybody else. They made me feel that high fantasy ins't for me. So in a long time, I decided not to get this book just because it's high fantasy... I tried to ignore everyone's praises just because it's high fantasy.

Throne of Glass is a high fantasy novel and I absolutely LOVE IT and it's a big deal because I'm not a high fantasy reader. Let me just give a run down of my thoughts:

  * The world wasn't very heavy  or difficult to get into. I think that's one of the issues I had with other high fantasy series. Throne of Glass introduced everything slowly but surely. Magic was not brought up right at the very beginning and I like it that way.
  * Celaena Sardothien is a well established and strong heroine. I like her pride although it gets in her way, I like how she tries to solve things on her own because she considers the possibility of being accused of certain things, I like how she doesn't just give her trust out.
  * I LOVE the romance. Love triangle is usually a hit or miss and ToG's is definitely a hit. I currently ship Celaena to Dorian. I really like how the two of them would just feel so excited and conscious around each other.
  * The mystery kept me hooked until the end. While the revelation isn't so much of a surprise just because of who's behind it, it still kept me at the edge. How Celaena handles the mystery was really interesting - how she checks out books, looks through things, and suspects the people around her.
  * Secondary Characters: Dorian Havilliard is the crown prince. He's got that usual I'm-the-prince talk - really charming - but it doesn't make him sound stupid or anything. Chaol Westfall is the Captain of the Guard. I like how Celaena feels really comfortable around him. How he's both serious and jokes around Celaena. Nehemia Ytger is the princess of Eyllwe. I like how she has easily taken a liking on Celaena and how she supports the rebels.

OVERALL, Throne of Glass is immediately my fave high fantasy. I haven't read a lot but so far this is the only one I genuinely enjoyed. I LOVE Celaena, Dorian, and Chaol. It has a well established heroine, a great set of characters, good pacing, and intriguing mystery. Throne of Glass is a highly recommended read for those who enjoy high fantasy, magic, great characters, and a mystery that's very easy to get absorbed into.

*             *             *

What I Like: (1) Celaena, (2) how it didn't immediately jump into magic, (3) Chaol and Dorian (and maybe the rest of the characters but these two are really noteworthy!!), (4) the romance (really shipping Dorian and Celaena!!), (5) great pacing! really exciting, (6) the intriguing mystery

What I Didn’t Like: N/A



let's connect!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...