[REVIEW] PROXY

Series: Proxy #1
Author:
Alex London
Genre:
young adult, dystopia, science fiction, LGBT, fantasy, adventure, thriller, survival
Published:
May 1, 2014 (first published June 18, 2013)
Publisher:
Speak
Proxy (Proxy, #1)
What would you give up to change the world? 
Syd’s life is not his own. As a proxy he must pay for someone else’s crimes. When his patron, Knox, crashes a car and kills someone, Syd is branded and sentenced to death. Syd and Know realize the only way to beat the system is to save each other, so they flee. The ensuing cross-country chase will uncover a secret society of rebels, test the boys’ resolve, and shine a glaring light onto a world of those who owe and those who pay. 
This fast-paced thrill ride of a novel is full of breakneck action, shocking twists, and heart-hammering suspense that will have readers gasping until the very last page.

*             *             *
“Oh no,” said Mr. Baram. “Nothing mystical about destiny. Destiny is just the inevitable result of choice, from the choices that came before us to the choices we make. They are a river that can only flow in one direction.”
*             *             *

Let me admit this first, I only picked up PROXY because I saw Marie Lu saying that it’s “off-the-charts amazing.” It’s right there in the cover, see? :) I’m easily swayed, really.

PROXY is a thrilling fast-paced adventure that involves a lot of twists. As in literally A LOT of twists.

It started off pretty rough for me. I kind of find it quite difficult to get into the world but after a few chapters, I find it very fascinating. It’s so advance and technical and heavily based on programs and codes that hacking is such a handy skill to have. Delving into the world of PROXY, the whole patron-proxy concept is pretty interesting. Proxies take the punishments of patrons depending on their debts in years.

PROXY is the type of read that gets better as the story goes further because there are twists after twists. The climax was very well written although I wasn’t exactly gripping the book as I read. But there certainly were times when both Knox and Syd would just be faced with decisions they do not know how to handle that they had to have their moment to just really make up their minds. The ending was absolutely memorable! I honestly didn’t see it coming and it really made me want to read the next book (and now I’m thinking whether I’ll settle for the expensive hardcover or wait for the paperback~~)

The characters were really nicely written. Knox started out pretty rough for me but he ended up becoming my favorite character at the end basically. For me, Knox is the most developed character. He’s the one that truly changed throughout the story (not that being a well developed character means completely changing). Knox just had so many internal conflicts going on especially that his real intention in helping Syd was to piss his father off. Syd, on the other hand, is this character I usually just set aside. For me, he’s like Knox’s and Marie’s driving force. He’s merely an element to move the story forward. Although Syd’s dilemmas and position is much difficult than Knox, I never really found myself sympathizing to him or feeling anything for him in general.

*             *             *

What I Like: (1) the thrilling fast-paced action, (2) all those twists!, (3) the development on Knox, (4) Knox, (5) the friendship between Syd and Egan, (6) that oh-so memorable ending!


What I Didn’t Like: (1) how it felt complex when it started, (2) Marie, (3) how I didn’t feel so much for Syd, (4) how I kept on putting it down while reading it (it’s fast-paced and is generally thrilling but it didn’t absorbed me)

thrilling fast-paced adventure + unlimited twists = Nice Read.

(the 69 Test || Book Teaser)
Syd shivered himself awake, every nerve raw and prickling. The echo of a nightmare shot adrenaline up his spine. He reached back to the mark behind his ear. He could never be a gambler. His finger always went right to that spot when he was nervous. 
It hurt to open his eyes, but it hurt to keep them closed. Slowly, his vision came into focus. A steel table leg. White tiles. Bright light. A vague electric hum. The pain and the cold told him he was alive.


follow links:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...