[Flashback Friday] the Clique series

Flashback Friday is a weekly post where I talk about a book, manga, or anime series which I’ve seen years ago. This is more like me reminiscing on stuff I come across way back then.

Meet The Clique… 
Massie Block: With her glossy hair and laser-whitened smile, Massie is the uncontested ruler of The Clique and the social scene at Octavian Country Day School, an exclusive private girls’ school in Westchester Country, New York. Massie knows you’d give anything to be just like her. 
Dylan Marvil: Massie’s second in command who divides her time between sucking up to Massie and sucking down Atkins Diet shakes. 
Alicia Rivera: As sneaky as she is beautiful, Alicia would love to take Massie’s throne one day. Just might. 
Kristen Gregory: She’s smart, hardworking, and will insult you to tears faster than you can say “my haircut isn’t ugly!” 
Enter Claire Lyons, the new girl from Florida in Keds and two-year-old Gap overalls, who is clearly not Clique material. Unfortunately for her, Claire’s family is staying in the guesthouse on Massie’s family’s huge estate while they look for a new home. Claire’s future looks worse than  a bad Prada knockoff. But with a little luck and a lot of scheming, Claire might just come up smelling like Chanel No. 19… 
The Clique… the only thing harder than getting in is staying in.

*              *              *

The Clique is my first book series which is why Lisi Harrison has a special place in my heart (but sadly I haven’t read all her books)… Actually the Clique isn’t my first book in the series. My first book was Best Friends for Never which is the second book.


Looking back at the Clique, it’s honestly not my type of book right now and Massie (and maybe the rest of the Pretty Committee) is certainly not my type of character. The Pretty Committee is a part of what I call right now the stereotypical popular-bitch-girls as I said in my review of Before I Fall.

But at that time (roughly 8years back which was like my first time finally getting into reading), I was highly entertained with this series and there were even times when I honestly touched by the story (which I honestly can’t believe right now). But you see, what I perhaps truly loved about Harrison’s characters is how amusing they get. Massie technically is one of the funniest popular-bitch-girl characters out there with all her witty punch lines and all. Add to that her big ego which I both loved and hate.


Perhaps my favorite among the characters are Kristen and Alicia. Both of which are bounded by Massie’s ‘alpha’ character but they both shine in their own ways. Alicia, the stuck forever ‘beta,’ is an absolutely fun character with all her wish to become the ‘alpha’ of her own clique and seem to always fail to do so which makes her always crawling back to Massie (okay, so technically not crawling back. Leesh has her ego as well but she doesn’t seem to successfully stand above Massie despite Massie having almost nothing a couple of times in the entire series). Kristen, on the other hand, is the smarty girl who obviously represents the not-so-well-off people who wants to be part of the ‘popular-bitch-rich’ clique.

When I thought about it right now, the Clique is a pretty rough book that talks a lot of things about how popular-bitch-girls always get their way. And in a sense, it’s kind of negative. But looking at it in another way (in completely another way – like flipping your brain 360°), it talks about friendship and how friends always reconcile things at the end of the day (but still, the Clique goes on about it in a way you probably don’t want your younger sisters, cousins, etc. to imitate).

But you see, I think that the Clique is just about laughs, friendship, crushes, setting egos aside, and others things like that (and that is setting aside the popularity and richness and such). You don’t really have to take a lot of it too seriously(:


*              *              *

How about you guys, is there any book, manga, or anime series you’re reminiscing right now? OR is there anything that you were reminded of when I talked about the Clique?

*              *              *
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...