[REVIEW] Prodigy

Series: Legend Trilogy #2
Author:
Marie Lu
Genre:
young adult, dystopia, science fiction, romance
Published:
April 8, 2014 (first published January 29, 2013)
Publisher:
Speak
Prodigy: A Legend Novel
June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector. It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.  
But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

*              *              *

He is beauty, inside and out. 
He is the silver lining in a world of darkness. 
He is my light

*              *              *

Prodigy literally blew me away. After reading it, I have no idea which one to like more Legend or Prodigy. So I decided to drop the dilemma since I’ll probably go crazy all over again once I finish Champion a couple of days from now.

I read Prodigy with no clear idea of where it’ll revolve. The Speak edition only said: The republic is swiftly changing… But for June and Day, one wrong more could destroy everything they stand for… Well I should have expected the revolution idea.

Revolution is a typical path for a dystopian novel, in my opinion, because that’s just the normal way of continuing the series. A revolution, a wish for change, a reformation, or something along those lines is practically the only path dystopian novels take (because isn’t it common sense that the whole goal of dystopian stories is to break away from their very own dystopian worlds?).

Anyway, despite how clichéd the idea is, Prodigy is a really outstanding sequel, in my opinion. I guess this is what dystopian, action novels should be.

“You think you’re in love with a girl you’ve known for less than a month, a girl who – who’s responsible for your mother’s death? For John’s?”

The number one thing that I really love in here is the romance. We know from Legend that June almost practically caused the death of Day’s mother, the capture of Eden, Day's own capture, and even the death of John. She’s directly or indirectly involved in all of these yet these question hangs there in the air. Why does he like her? Why does he love her when there’re probably a lot of reasons for him to hate and despise her?

I like how (somehow) realistic their feelings for each other is in here (or maybe all I’m saying is I like how Day’s feelings started jumbling up a bit). We need that, yeah? But it’s not exactly the idea of Day getting confused at his feelings towards June but how he expresses these confusions.

The flow of their romance is one of the most beautiful parts of this installment. It started off with their oh-so beautiful connection in their runaway towards Vegas to joining the Patriots (and THAT bathroom scene O_O I just can’t get that out of my head!), to their assigned missions which stirred Day’s emotions a lot, to their final stunt which involved a lot of arguing about their different social status and the death of Day’s mother and John, to the beautiful last pages of the story (which totally broke my heart). How these are written is the best part. There were just a lot of things going on in their heads and the buildup of everything that’s going on in their minds just blasted in a gripping love story between the two.

There’s just so much Metias and it makes me wish he’s alive. I probably just have some kind of brother complex since I don’t have one. I really like how Metias brings a lot of things into light for June. June’s moments with Metias in her dream are so beautiful, compelling, and at times moving.

I love Anden! I’m definitely not betraying Day but Anden looks like some delicate rich kid to me; I’d like to hug him whenever I see him stuck in a pinch. Yet there’re just so much doubt surrounding his character in here especially with the assassination plan against him. But still, I liked him right off the bat.

I love Prodigy’s fast-paced action. There’s always something interesting going on. This is all just one big assassination plot and it’s a 371 pages book full of romance, action, and inner character conflicts. Lu’s writing is so engaging that it’s really easy to get absorbed in all that’s happening right from the very beginning. While of course, there are times when we’ll halt from all the action and turn into some inner conflicts like how June doubts Razor or how June and Day fights over June’s decision at the latter part of their mission.

*              *              *

What I liked: (1) it’s just one of those sequels that can compete equally with its prequel, (2) it strengthens the romance between Day and June, (3) it gives so much love for secondary characters (with special mentions to Tess, Kaede, and ANDEN!), (4) so much action, and doubts, and missions, and bombs, and running!!, (5) my love for June escalated exponentially (so much faith, so much trust, so awkward), and (6) that ending is just so… (how am I gonna put this to words?) I don’t know but to say it perfectly… but let me spoil you a little: it’s sad.

What I didn’t liked: so far none :D

thrilling pace + lovely romance + beautifully sad ending = MUST READ!
[I’m actually trying out a new style of reviewing. I kind of like it. Makes things easier for me. Not so boring, in my opinion, and just plain being fun.]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...