[REVIEW] The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Series: N/A
Author:
Jess Rothenberg
Genre:
 young adult, contemporary, romance, paranormal, fantasy, ghost, supernatural, death
Published:
 April 18, 2013
Publisher: Speak

denial. heartbreak. true love.
Brie is the "biggest, cheesiest, sappiest romantic," and she believes that everyone will find their perfect someone. So when Jacob, the love of Brie's life, tells her he doesn't love her anymore, the news breaks her heart, literally, and she dies. 
But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie revisits the living world to discover that her family has begun to unravel and her best friend has been keeping an intimate secret about her boyfriend. Somehow, Brie must handle all of this while navigating through the five stages of grief with the help of Patrick, her mysterious guide to the afterlife. But how is she supposed to face the Ever After with a broken heart and no one to call her own? 

*             *             *

I cannot believe that I let this wonderful book seat on my shelf for almost half a year. This is now one of my fave reads of 2015!!

While it started quite slow for me, I loved the fun and carefree young adult voice of Brie. I love the way she tells the story and how she voice out her thoughts about everything. She sounds so natural. It feels that her actions and words would be your initial reactions when you die - when you die unexpectedly (not that we're not thinking about it, but when you die you and you're feeling that you're at the top of the world it just seem to unexpected and so unlikely).

Rothenberg really knows when and how to hit the right notes. This book made me laugh, smile, and tear up. It has a very lovely story with a really nice inspirational lesson at the end. I love how Rothenberg wrote Brie - her development through revisiting her life and talking to her resident after life guide, Patrick. I was able to really feel for Brie throughout everything. I like how she was able to forgive and accept her death and find real peace at the end of it all. Patrick, was a funny and swoon-worthy partner. I loved him! I love how he helps Brie, how he jokes around her and the mystery surrounding him. By the end of the book, I was like, Seriously? Well that's really sweet! And maybe heartbreaking~~

The Catastrophic History of You and Me's image of the afterlife is really interesting. It kind of made me look back to Angel Beats! (finding peace and fulfillment in afterlife). There were things like being able to revisit the world, interfere with the lives of other people, and even relive a day of your life. 

OVERALL, The Catastrophic History of You and Me is a MUST READ. It's an inspirational romance novel about forgiveness, understanding, and consequences. The storytelling is very amusing and moving. It's a recommended read for those who enjoy young adult contemporary :)

*             *             *

What I Like: (1) the storytelling - Brie's voice, (2) Brie and Patrick and their relationship, (3) the development of Brie from total denial to acceptance, (4) the really interesting afterlife, (5) the really beautiful ending, (6) the title headers (those song titles!!)

What I Didn’t Like: (1) I wasn't immediately captured but that's just being me...



let's connect!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...