[REVIEW] Cinder

Series: The Lunar Chronicles #1
Author:
Marissa Meyer
Genre:
young adult, science fiction, fantasy, romance, retelling
Published:
January 8, 2013 (first published January 1, 2012)
Publisher:
Square Fish
Even in the future, the story begins with Once Upon a Time… 
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From the space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make a move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl… 
Sixteen-year-old Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past and is reviled by her stepmother. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. Because there is something unusual about Cinder, something that others would kill for.

*             *             *
“Vanity is a factor, but it is more a question of control. It is easier to trick others into perceiving you as beautiful if you can convince yourself you are beautiful. But mirrors have an uncanny way of telling the truth.”
*             *             *

Why the freak did I let this sit on my bookshelf for like two months? WHY!?

I LOVE EVERY BIT OF CINDER. From the world, to the cyborg heroine, to her really swoon-worthy Prince Charming, to the nice-written secondary characters, to the great pacing, to that (somehow) cliffhanger-ish ending.

Cinder is a very cinematic novel. I don’t understand why it’s still not a movie but it should be. Right from the first part of the book, I can really see everything in my mind with the camera rolling and the really great camera angles and such. The world of Cinder (or of The Lunar Chronicles) immediately absorbed me (and I don’t think it has something to do with all the praises and recommendations I’ve read).

Cinder has that pretty predictable story. The thing is that I already saw all the twists they’ll throw right from the first part of the book. Although they seem predictable for me, I was still more than interested in reading through them. I was so in love with the characters that it remained as a real page-turner for me. I was so curious or interested in how the characters will react to these revelations. And I just LOVE how things were revealed. I wasn’t disappointed even for a bit.

Cinder is a heroine I loved. After being ‘volunteered’ by her stepmother as plague vaccine test, her life slowly turned upside down. I really feel for her. There were a lot of things going on in her mind starting with what’s so special about her? Why is she not being affected by the plague?
Cinder’s secondary characters were one of the best I’ve read yet. Prince Kai, is one of the few book guys I really love (I’m adding him on my short list of book crushes). For me, he’s as diplomatic and caring and gentleman as Anden (Legend Trilogy) and as vain (or full of himself) as Peter Kavinsky (To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before). It’s like a perfect combination for me! Iko, on the other hand, is that quirky heroine’s bestfriend. I love her! She’s the comic relief, I tell you. Dr. Erland is that guy I half doubted in the beginning BUT he ended up being one of the best characters. He’s like Cinder’s support and guide.

The romance was subtle. I find it sweet and adorable. Both of which weren’t very verbal about what they feel and it’s not something I often read in YA books. I like how the two of them just joke around each other (actually I enjoy their humor) and still act a bit awkward or shy at times. The two of them are really cute!

The climax was a real page turner. All the revelations were thrown to Kai (oh poor Kai…). I was literally gripping the book while making weird and embarrassing shocked and worried face as I read through these pages (in public!). I wanted to stop, stare at the book, shout at the top of my lungs, and then continue reading (but really, I didn’t do that but I really wish I did but in public? No, please). And the ending? It’s one of those cliffhanger endings wherein something big was revealed to the MC and she gets a bit startled and then… you have to read the next book.

Overall, Cinder is a MUST READ. It has a very great world, a heroine you’ll definitely cheer for, a Prince Charming that you’ll really fall for, and a gripping story with NO DULL MOMENTS. AT ALL.

*             *             *

What I Like: (1) the world, (2) the heroine, Cinder, (3) ALL THE SECONDARY CHARACTERS! Especially Iko, Prince Kai, and Dr. Erland, (4) so many predictable but well executed twists, (5) a real page turner, there’s always something going on

What I Didn’t Like: N/A


follow links:
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...