-blacksheep's Top 10 Anime


Pardon me for my lack of experience with enough anime to make an amazing list like other people was able to do so. With around 1.5 years of strictly following seasonal anime and occasionally watching anime when I was a kid, I'm pretty sure my list isn't as outstanding as most people are.

Inspired by the post made by Xana in his own blog - Xana's Top 20 Anime!!!, I've decided to make my list as well(: I hated the idea that I have only finished around 108 TV series BUT that doesn't really matter. I'm pretty sure that this list will grow and change over time. If anyone can suggest to me any good anime, I'd be willing to try them. I've seen a lot of interesting anime to watch whenever I do some blog-hopping *v* and I'm just looking for the right time to watch them (or resources for some).

Disclaimer: all images came from zerochan.net, if one of the images I used is yours and you want them down, just email me at: czai.theblacksheep@gmail.com :D

Now, here's my list(:

Quick knowledge: Weekly Shounen JUMP, Duel Monsters (duh!), Card Game, Historical
Original Run: April 18 2000 - September 29 2004 (224 episodes)
I know this anime won't usually appear on everyone's top 10 or even top 100 list but I've really liked this anime. This is the original Yu-Gi-Oh! anime excluding the season 0 which included Nosaka Miho. I've never watched the Japanese dub - English sub version of the anime and I've finished this show in Filipino dub but that didn't stop me from enjoying the intense duels, comedies, action, really interesting alternate Ancient Egypt history and good characters. With a long 224 episode run, Yu-Gi-Oh! had some pretty smooth character development with each side characters getting their short quick introduction and an episode about their background story. I've definitely like each arc with the Battle City (and the semi finals and finals), the Seal of Orichalcos and the Memories of the Pharaoh as my favorite arcs.


I'm currently re-watching this in English dub and I still enjoy it(: Although I have to admit that there are a lot of things that I find really funny and stupid, re-watching this makes me feel nostalgic about how crazy I was with Yu-Gi-Oh! when I was in 5th grade.

Quick knowledge: Weekly Shounen Sunday, Sunrise, Bread Making, Parody, Comedy
Original Run: October 12, 2004 - March 14, 2006 (69 episodes)
This has got to be one of the funniest and the best parody anime I've watched. I randomly stumbled upon Yakitate!! Japan when I was in HS and I did find the idea of making a huge deal about bread making kind of stupid but who knew that this anime would be really great? I know that it's an anime about making a national bread for Japan. It's a weird idea but that's what makes this anime really great. Yakitate!! Japan has also presented some really interesting characters and a wide variety as well. They can be serious and all but each of them still gives off at least 30% comedy time. Even pink-haired serious genius Kanmuri Shigeru can be funny at times whenever he's with Kawachi Kyousuke :3

I've watched this series 2 times, the 1st time is in Filipino Dub and the 2nd time being in Japanese Dub - English Sub. Both had been pretty funny and enjoyable. This one's recommended for those who're up for some real time comedy - their bread reactions are the best! Oh and for some fair warning, there could be some bread-making-and-ingredient geekiness but hey, even if they're from an anime with some seriously insane characters, they're some pretty real knowledge though you can actually ignore them if you like(:

Quick knowledge: Shoujo, Romance, Slice of Life, Production I.G
Original Run: October 7, 2009 - March 31, 2010 (25 episodes)
Kimi ni Todoke has got to be my favorite romance anime. I've definitely watched a number of anime under this genre being a fan of it and Kimi ni Todoke has got to be the best. It had some pretty good share of comedy, romance and drama. I've also come to like how realistic the characters are most especially the two main, Kazehaya Shouta (Namikawa Daisuke) and Kuronuma Sawako (Noto Mamiko). I really liked Kazahaya's happy-go-lucky nature and his overwhelming popularity. It's cute how popular he is and still gets to be the typical guy who gets shy at times when he talks to the girl he likes. The ending was a little open but it did continued with 2nd season which I wasn't entirely fond of other than the appearance of Miura Kento (Miyano Mamoru).


I've only watched this anime once and I've also watched the live drama which covered the entire anime season O.O The live drama was pretty good but pretty messed up and all-over-the-place as well because it was a bit rushed. Wait. No. It was really rushed. Anyway, this anime is recommended for those who'd like to watch some really good romance with some realistic characters :3

Quick knowledge: Weekly Shounen JUMP, Manga Making, Romance, Reaching Goals, Drama, Slice of Life, J.C. Staff
Original Run: October 1, 2011 - March 24, 2012 (25 episodes)

I've already talked about this series on my top 3 anime for Winter 2012 post last month but I'd be glad to talk about it again right now(: First of all, Bakuman had been more of about reaching your dreams no matter how long it takes and how difficult it could be. That's the best thing about it. The romance and manga making just came in as part of the story. I specifically added the second season and not the first one for one good reason, this sequel turned out a lot better than its prequel. A lot of people complained about the first season being slow-paced AND I seriously don't know how that felt because I didn't feel that way. BUT when I was re-watching it, specifically the first episode, it does seem a bit boring. OR probably it's because I was thinking about the manga since I've read the 1st chapter a lot of times already and I never get tired of it. ANYWAY, enough about S1, this sequel has definitely did a good job in personally touching me and it had moved really well. J.C. Staff has definitely did a great job in opening Bakuman. 2 well with that really great episode 1 and ending it with that really moving final episode. Another thing I really like about Bakuman is how well it moves me and makes me cry because of happiness from Ashirogi's accomplishments :D This season of Bakuman sure has a lot of improvements with characters, comedy, atmosphere, art and most especially pacing :D

No I haven't re-watched this since it just finished airing. HAHA. Anyway, like what I said in my review of Bakuman. 2,
Bakuman S2 is a well made sequel and I am really glad that it did not disappoint and it did better than the first season. For those who have yet to watch Bakuman, I advice you to do so. I find Bakuman a very inspiring and moving anime. For those who have watched the first season and haven't watched this season, you better do so since the third one is just around the corner (I really can't wait for the 3rd season! - Nanamine is on the way!! XD) and it's going to be really good :)

Quick knowledge: A-1 Pictures, noitaminA, Drama, Slice of Life
Original Run: April 15, 2011 - June 24, 2011 (11 episodes)
This has got to be one of the anime that have made me cry a lot other than CLANNAD: After Story and Angel Beats!. AnoHana had a pretty moving story about re-uniting friends. I don't really know how to explain how much I like this anime. The first two episodes have really caught attention well with episdoe 2 having things getting stirred up a little already. I was quite busy while watching this that I had to marathon the 4 final episodes and all of them had been pure drama. AND what did I get after that? My eyes hurting so much from too much crying. Meh. That's bad. But hey, that's a good sign that this anime had made a really amazing job in its genre. Oh and did I said that Menma is one of the cutest character out there? :3


Do I need to write recommendations for this? Ano Hana is one of the best anime out there, just watch it!

Quick knowledge: Sunrise, Bandai, Action, Mecha, Military
Original Run: October 5, 2002 - September 27, 2003 (50 episodes)
First of all, don't start bashing me for adding this to my list AND making it my top 5. I know Gundam SEED have some pretty poor animation and yeah, they're making a re-master version which is a total failure BUT my love for SEED just grew in me and I have some personal reasons for liking the series AND no, I'm not including Destiny in this list. Why did I actually liked SEED and not Wing? OR Gundam 00? OR some other Gundam Series out there which had been a lot better? I know SEED is a Gundam Series that most Gundam fans might have disliked BUT SEED is my first Gundam Series and I really liked how much it had been more of a character-base anime than the mecha anime it should have been. The mobile suits are really good. I love most of them with the 4 stolen gundams being my fave: Aegis, Buster, Blitz and Duel. Anyway, the characters had been very outstanding, in my opinion. Of course, I hate some of them (2 to be specific) BUT that doesn't mean I hate how the characters are made, I believe that it just made me realize how much they made an impact.

I've watched this two times already and I'm still up to go for another round though 50 episodes is quite long already :| Should I recommend this? Not really but if you're up for some mecha, I guess it wouldn't hurt to touch this series(: BUT if you're a mecha fan (and a Gundam fan), I doubt that you haven't watch this. HAHA.

Quick knowledge: White Fox, Sci-Fi, Drama, Time Travel, Serious Comedy, Visual Novel, Nitro+, .5pb, Outstanding Cast
Original Run: March 6, 2011 - September 14, 2011 (24 episodes)
I'm pretty sure that Steins;Gate has made half of anime fans' top anime list because of so many reasons that I wouldn't even really like to enumerate. What is it about Steins;Gate that makes it so damn interesting? It's the time traveling + mad scientist Hououin Kyouma. Wait. No. It's the time traveling + mad scientist Okabe Rintarou (Miyano Mamoru) + his assistant, Makise Kurisu (Imai Asami) + his hostage, Shiina Mayuri (Hanazawa Kana) + super hacker, Hashida Itaru (Seki Tomokazu) + the entire Future Gadget Research Lab Members! Steins;Gate is an enjoyable anime to watch and does it require so much thinking? Personally, I didn't let myself go crazy thinking about things in here though thinking about things just go around when you're watching. Actually when I watched the first episode, I was like: What the heck did I just watched? I seriously had no clue what just happened there but I just didn't think about that and moved on, you'll just remember them when the time comes.

If you haven't touch this anime, I suggest you start right now because you're missing something really big. Steins;Gate is also one of the biggest anime out there. If you've gone around watching those magical girls catching witches with their evil pet anime called Mahou Shoujo MadokaMagica, you better make sure you watch this as well. Steins;Gate is an amazing sci-fi, thriller anime and definitely worth the time. El Psy Congroo.

Quick knowledge: Sunrise, Action, Mecha, Military, Super Power, Justice, War
Original Run: October 6, 2006 - July 28, 2007 (25 episodes) | R2: April 6, 2008 - September 28, 2008 (25 episodes)
Similar to Steins;Gate, I'm pretty positive that Code Geass had landed on most people's top anime list because of one great thing, Lelouch's character. Other than the really interesting plot, power of geass, great mecha battle and good art + animation, Lelouch Lamperounge (Fukuyama Jun) has made Code Geass an anime worth re-watching over and over. In my initial thoughts of Code Geass when I first watched it, I instantly thought about Code Geass = Death Note's Yagami Light enters the Gundam 00 BUT Code Geass definitely had its own edge over both shows which both never made my list.


If you're looking for an amazing anime to watch or just plain looking for anything to watch, Code Geass has got to be it. The first season had those really great Lelouch stunts (LOL) and the second season had a very outstanding conclusion.

Quick Knowledge: Brain's Base, Outstanding Cast (Literally), Action, Supernatural, Light Novel, Character-Driven
Original Run: January 7, 2010 - June 24, 2010 (24 episodes)
Looks like my top 4 is made up of anime that had reached almost everyone's top anime list. Yeah, DURARARA!! is one of those really amazing anime out there. The best thing I like about this series is that it's made up of a huge cast which have their own stories being connected to each other making a bigger picture at the end of its two main plots which is highly similar in style to Narita Ryohgo's earlier work, Baccano!. I mainly love all of the characters together with their respective voice actors which gave them life and a more interesting character. Should I give an example? For some obvious example, one of the most interesting character in DRRR!! is Orihara Izaya which is voiced by Kamiya Hiroshi. That character and that voice just went perfectly with each other. It's amazing. AND if you want to know why I love the cast so much, I'lljust enumerate my favorite voice actors: Miyano Mamoru, Hanazawa Kana, Ono Daisuke, Fukuyama Jun, Sawashiro Miyuki and Okamoto Nobuhiko. I can still go on but it'll be a long list.


I've watched DRRR!! around 3 times and I never get tire of it. BUT honestly speaking the first time I tried watching it, the first episode somehow bored me out. BUT once I watched episode 2 and Izaya started talking, I started to gain interest that I just couldn’t stop watching :D This is definitely a must to watch.

Quick Knowledge: P.A. Works, Key Anime, Action, Drama, Comedy, Music
Original Run: March 22, 2010 - June 26, 2010 (13 episodes)
Angel Beats! might not take the number 1 spot of most people's list because of the plot holes it had but I've made it my number 1 because of so many reasons. I won't go through everything but what's really great about Angel Beats! is that it lets you learn something about the painful thing of having regrets and still carrying them over even after you die. It's very well presented in a very unlikely environment - a purgatory-like school which only teens that lived a regretful life go. Angel Beats! also had that great mixture of drama and comedy and this anime had really moved me. The episodes that I really liked and really moved me were episode 3 and episode 9. Both are great and I seriously cry a lot whenever I watch them. Other than the great execution, art and animation, Angel Beats! also had a great set of characters with very sad backgrounds. There're a lot of characters here so not all of them are well developed. I mean how can a 13-episode anime develop the entire main members of SSS with more than 10 of them? Well some of them were not really that important and were mainly there to guide the other characters and add fun to the series.


I've watched Angel Beats! around 10 times already and I seriously never get tired of it. I still cry and laugh a lot. I can even watch it without the subs already and still know what it is they're saying and I've even memorize all of the episodes. The ending may have been an open one and had made a huge plot hole to the series and I am more than willing to ignore that fact since this anime had been really great. Should I recommend this? YES. This anime is definitely worth watching :D

Some final thoughts…
I've always hated the idea of ranking my anime like this but it sure was fun doing this though it sure was difficult. I opened my completed list in MAL and with 108 TV series completed, I had so little choices that I only made a top 10. Here're the other series that I've thought about (might be in my top 20): Ao no Exorcist, Baccano!, Bakemonogatari, Hourou Musuko, Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Kimi to Boku., Ouran Highschool Host Club, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Usagi Drop and Yu Yu Hakusho. Again, don't bash me for putting series that seems not good enough to be added on your opinion *cough* AoEx *cough*. I added them because I like them and I'm not going to explain them in a lot of words. As for the series I might consider including but I haven't finished yet (currently airing series) are Kuroko no Basuke and Uchuu Kyoudai, the two anime that made my top impression for this series (and yeah, I'm not blogging both 'cause I don't want to blog series that I really really love - I don't know how to put them into words!!! XD)

~thanks for reading! :D
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...